Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mid-Term Evaluation

PART 1) 


1) Classification and Taxonomy

http://raajvirkbiology.blogspot.ca/2013_09_01_archive.html
























I linked the Classification Project, the test, and three other assignments we did in class which I think wrap up the classification/taxonomy topics. During this section, I learned about the different kingdoms, and about how all organisms are categorized. I think my marks reflect my good understanding of this topic.

Basics of what I learned:

- the kingdoms (plantae, animilia, protista, fungi, eubacteria, archaebacteria)
- differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
- rules of classification (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species)


2) Evolution

http://raajvirkbiology.blogspot.ca/2013/10/answer-why-are-owls-able-to-spin-their.html

























For this section, I linked a blogpost about what I learned about owls and their adaptive technique due to evolution. Also, I chose the graphing assignments we did which show variation and DNA replication. Also, the different types of natural selection. Lastly, I included the project that took ages to do; the one about the extinct/alive animal that evolved into so many different species! I think that these posts show my good understanding about evolution and DNA replication.
ACED IT!

Basics of what I learned:

- what is DNA, what it is made of (sugar phosphate), structure (double helix, adenine, thymine, cytosine, guanine) and why it is important to evolution
- what causes evolution (changes in environment, etc.)
- different types of evolution (stabilizing, disrupting, directional)
- natural selection, and how it allows evolution to occur
- examples of evolution in nature, for ex. peppered moths


3) Viruses

http://raajvirkbiology.blogspot.ca/2013/10/part-1-1-structure-is-from-either.html


I picked the link to the mini project we had to do about viruses, what they are, how they come into the body, how to prevent them, and an example of a virus. After the project, I had a clear grasp on viruses. Because of that, I got a perfect score on the virus test, which I also posted.

Basics of what I learned:

- reasons for why viruses could be living or non living
- the lysogenic cycle where the virus in dormant and the lytic cycle where the virus attacks cells
- prevention methods from viruses and how vaccines work
- characteristics of a virus

4) Bacteria

http://raajvirkbiology.blogspot.ca/2013/11/all-you-need-to-know-about-bacteria.html

http://raajvirkbiology.blogspot.ca/2013/10/our-bacteria-shapestypes-asad-brittany.html

http://raajvirkbiology.blogspot.ca/2013/10/blog-post.html





I decided to link my blog posts about the assignment where I learned all the parts/functions of bacteria, types and shapes of bacteria, and the labs I did about bacteria growth. I also included some important notes on bacteria which really helped me understand the parts and how bacteria looks, and also the differences between bacteria and viruses. I chose those notes to post because they helped get a perfect score on the quiz/test and because I think that they contained important information.

Basics of what I learned:

- bacteria is living
- what separates bacteria from viruses
- characteristics of bacteria and parts of bacteria
- three different shapes and the arrangement (staphlo or strepto/ spirrilum, bacillum, or coccus)


5) Protists





I chose the picture the amoeba we found in the pond water. That was my favourite thing to look at under the microscope! It was actually moving which I found really interesting. I also posted the notes that helped me understand the characteristics of protists and understand the difference between bacteria and protists, which I had some trouble with in the beginning. Lastly, I put up a picture of the quiz, which I aced! This shows my understanding of what protists are.

Basics of what I learned:

- how some protists are heterotrophic and some are autotrophic and what the differences are
- how diverse protists can be
- how they are mostly aquatic
- how protists use binary fission to reproduce and use sexual conjugation


PART 2


In this class, I think I've done my part of participating, doing the work, showing respect and actually learning something! Usually, for most classes, kids (along with me) participate etc. because it helps you get a good grade. However, it's been kind of different for me in this class. I participate, listen, and do the work because I actually want to! I think it's kind of fascinating when you think about the broad perspective of biology. It kind of gives you a whole different view on things. Everything around you seems so much bigger than it really is, and when you look at the leaves and plants outside, you think about how they are actually a huge part in making this whole cycle of life possible! Of course I'm not perfect, I think I may have an assignment that I didn't do too well on or missed. However, the time I put in to study and actually question "why" reflects on my test marks. Although I think that my in class work has been good because I feel like I always ask questions and want to learn, I think it's important that you reflect your learning outside of class, too, which is what I think I've been doing. Maybe not in huge ways like hunting down a new and undiscovered organism, but just talking about what I learned in class to friends, showing my mom my blog and videos, and telling my dad about tardigrades (which blew his mind) is also, in my opinion, a good reflection of learning. I think my mark in this class based off of participation, will to learn, and perfect test scores would be a good way of accumulating a mark. I also think that how I reflect what I learn in class outside of class, too, should come into account. I think I deserve a 95% in this class. So far, I'm getting about 100 in each class. But I think I do have some improving to do if I think I'd want to give myself 100 in this class. I think I need to improve on socializing less and putting down my phone! I have been trying though, and I guess it it possible to live without my phone. Who woulda thought.

Overall though, I believe I deserve a 95% in this course, so far. :)

















1 comment:

  1. Great reflection Raaj. I am glad that you are thinking about the big picture of biology and how your learning can change the way that you see the world. That is what I hope for everyone who takes this course - just to open your eyes to all the amazing things that may seem ordinary. I appreciate your questions and class participation - your input makes the entire class better. I can see that you are engaged and making thoughtful connections in class. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete